Have a mold emergency?
Take a deep breath. We are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Just call us at 405-329-8999.
Over the past few years, mold has become a hot issue for both homeowners and people seeking new ones. Taking care of mold issues not only saves you a couple of bucks in the future but also has the ability to prevent larger problems. So, what is this phenomenon we’re talking about? Mold is a microscopic organism that is found basically everywhere – it can occur any place, at any time, no matter where you live. There are different types of mold, but their main function is to break down dead materials so that nutrients can be further used by the environment. So, for molds to grow, they need some food source. The most common sources are leaves, wood, paper, or dirt.
As previously mentioned, mold can grow in a variety of places. We’ve compiled a list of the most common sources of interior mold, so you can begin tackling it at the root.
- Indoor exhaust from a clothes dryer
- Steam from cooking/shower, etc.
- Leaking windows or doors
- Damp basements
- Plumbing leaks
- Heating/cooling system problems
- Poor drainage
- Leaky roofs or damaged gutters
Even though mold will always be present and there’s no one way to eliminate it completely, you can still control its growth by monitoring the indoor moisture. Here are some strategies to help you prevent this:
- Clean any moldy surfaces as soon as you spot them.
- Make sure your carpets are clean.
- Have your heating/cooling systems professionally cleaned regularly.
- Use a dehumidifier or A/C.
- Make sure bathroom fans and dryers are properly vented to the outside.
- Try to avoid carpeting bathroom and basement areas.
- Regularly clean moist areas.
- Remove any moist spots.